Sibgiprotransput Institute was founded in Moscow on April 15, 1937 by ordinance No. 121/CZ of the Deputy People’s Commissar of the Means of Communication of the USSR as Project Bureau — Transprojectkarier All-Russian Specialized Bureau for the following cities: Kiev, Leningrad, Rostov-on-Don and Novosibirsk.
The Novosibirsk department of Transprojectkarier controlled by the Transprojectkarier All-Russian Specialized Moscow Design and Research Bureau was created from an engineering and geologic party, which was sent to Novosibirsk to survey deficient areas of earthworks of Tomsk Railways and its ballast quarries.
The activities of Transprojectkarier included: search and exploration of deposits, such as gravel, stone, fire resistant and brick-tile raw materials, as well as design of open mining activities based on found deposits.
Transprojectkarier also surveyed deforming areas of the earthworks and developed corrective measures to be implemented subject to special assignment by the Central Directorate for the Ministry of Communication Lines, which gathered and processed requests for such works, filed in from all the railways of the Soviet Union.
In 1942, the Novosibirsk department of Transprojectkarier started to provide its services to South-Ural, Omsk, Turkestan-Siberian, Tomsk, Krasnoyarsk and East Siberian Railways.
In 1944, the Novosibirsk department was expanded by means of addition of the Far Eastern department, located in Khabarovsk and providing services to Far Eastern, Zabaikalsk and Amur Railways. That’s how the Novosibirsk department of Transprojectkarier with expanded area of service from Ural and Central Asia to the Far East was founded.
In March 1954 the Transprojectkarier All-Russian Specialized Bureau was reorganized into Giprotranskarier State Institute for Geological Research and Design of Crushed-stone Plants and Pits of the Tracks and Stations Department of the Ministry of Railways. At the same time, the Novosibirsk department of Transprojectkarier was reorganized into the Novosibirsk branch of Giprotranskarier Design Institute of the Ministry of Railways pursuant to the Decision of the Council of the Ministers of the USSR No. 418 dated March 11, 1954 and the Order of the Ministry of Railways No. 50 dated March 20, 1954 concerning the reconstruction of the upper superstructure of the railway track and its transfer to the broken stone foundation, in order to allow for the construction of new and reconstruction of existing crushed stone and gravel plants, as well as to provide stone and gravel pits with geological prospecting and research data and design and research documents.
On November 20, 1969 Giprotranskarier with its branches in Leningrad, Kiev, Rostov-on-Don, Novosibirsk and the Bridge Project Bureau of the Main Directorate of the Railway Line with its subsidiaries, the tunnel survey station, Moscow bridge testing and diving inspection stations were unified and reorganized into Giprotransput State Institute for Design of Railway Engineering Structures and Industrial Companies and for Geological Surveys of the Ministry of Railways pursuant to the Decision of the Council of Ministers of the RSFSR No. 424 dated July 15, 1969 «On the Introduction of Improvements to Project Design and Estimating» in order to allow comprehensive servicing of specific needs of railway track facilities, including reconstruction, repair and reinforcement of artificial structures and earthworks, timely and thorough inspection and development of specification for their reconstruction, repair and reinforcement, as well as for further development of railway industrial companies (crushed-stone plants, treating plants, rail-welding plants, quarries and so on).
At the same time, it was established that the main issues to be addressed by the institute were: performance of survey, research, design and technological works on reconstruction, reinforcement and repair of bridges, tunnels, earthworks and other engineering structures; development and enhancement of railway industrial companies, comprehensive implementation of all-round mechanization, automation and further improvement of sanitary and hygiene conditions, as well as performance of geological exploration and geological survey works for ballast materials and other aggregates.
On October 1995, Giprotransput Institute was renamed into: State Unitary Enterprise — State Institute for Design of Railway Engineering Structures and Industrial Companies and for Geological Surveys of the Ministry of Railways of the Russian Federation (SUE Giprotransput of the Ministry of Railway Communication of the Russian Federation for short).
On May 01, 1998 Novosibirsk Branch Office of Giprotransput of the Ministry of Railways was renamed into Novosibirsk Branch Office of State Unitary Enterprise of State Institute for Design of Railway Engineering Structures and Industrial Companies and for Geological Surveys of the Ministry of Railways of the Russian Federation (Novosibirsk Branch Office of SUE Giprotransput for short) pursuant to the Regulation on Branch Offices, approved by the Director of Giprotransput Institute and Order No. 27 dated March 18, 1998.
On September 1, 2001 Novosibirsk Subsidiary Enterprise (Federal State Unitary Enterprise) of State Unitary Enterprise — State Institute for Design of Railway Engineering Structures and Industrial Companies and for Geological Surveys of the Ministry of Railways of the Russian Federation (FSUE Novosibirsk Subsidiary Enterprise SUE Giprotransput of the Ministry of Railway Communication of Russia for short) was established based on Novosibirsk Branch Office of SUE Giprotransput of the Ministry of Railway Communication of Russia pursuant to the order of the Ministry of Railways of the Russian Federation dated March 02, 2001, No. E-298y.
On October 01, 2003 Federal State Unitary Enterprise Novosibirsk Subsidiary Enterprise of Giprotransput State Unitary Enterprise of the Ministry of Railways of Russia was renamed into Sibgiprotransput Siberian Institute for Design of Railway Engineering Structures and Industrial Companies and for Geological Surveys — the Branch Office of JSC Russian Railways (Sibgiprotransput JSC Russian Railways for short) due to changes in ownership and merger with JSC Russian Railways pursuant to the Decree of the Government of the Russian Federation No. 585 dated September 18, 2003.
Pursuant to the Order of V.I. Yakutin, the President of JSC Russian Railways, No. 154 dated June 09, 2006, Sibgiprotransput Siberian Institute for Design of Railway Engineering Structures and Industrial Companies and for Geological Surveys — the Branch Office of JSC Russian Railways, located at: 8 Dmitry Shamshurin St., 630004, Novosibirsk had ceased to perform operating activities as part of JSC Russian Railways and was merged with JSC Roszheldorproject. At the present time, the Institute is one of the leading organizations in the field of design of bridge reconstruction projects, rockfall protection and anti-deformation structures along hundreds of kilometers of railroad lines in Ural, Siberia, Trans-Baikal, the Far East, Kazakhstan, the North Caucasus and the Central Federal District. The Institute explored over 100 deposits of non-metallic mineral resources, designed hundreds of industrial facilities.
Sibgiprotransput took part in the reconstruction of engineering structures at the Trans-Siberian Main Line (DPRK), performed design works in Mongolia, is the general designer of Sochi Olympics transportation facilities.
V.P.Borisov, director from 1956 to 1985.
V.V. Kovalev, director from 1985 to 2005.
G.M. Odnokopylov, director from 2005 to 2013.